Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chicken Butt

You know what is mildly irritating? Chip seal. Chip seal is mildly irritating.

At least I thought it is mildly irritating.

I saw on the news that in the City of Eagle they are using smaller size gravel in their chip seal because cyclists like it. I guess I knew that (that I prefer smaller kibble) – because the Ada County Highway District told me so a few years ago when they chip sealed Hill Road.

Turns out, I also prefer the chip seal to plain old asphalt because when it rains less water flies up off the road and onto my butt. They told me that too.

I do prefer not to have a wet butt. They are right about that. I’m not sure however, if I prefer to be pelted by little rocks 330 days a year or have a wet butt 30 days a year? I’m sure they will tell me soon.

Eagle used smaller kibble because they wanted everyone to know that they are bike friendly. Uh-huh. Did you know that Eagle is the only town in Idaho where I have actually been pulled over by a cop while riding my bike? I guess I deserved it, but that’s beside the point. Eagle is also the only place I ever raced on a criterium course where the city refused to completely close traffic. Not to mention that Eagle doesn’t have bike lanes on their main street through town.

They do have parallel parking, there is that.

To be fair, I have only been hit by one car while riding in Eagle and I never actually came off my bike.

Speaking of Eagle I saw bike safety guy there on Sunday.


Odds of being hit from behind? About nill. You would think anyway.

Odds of being pissed at me? Pretty good. He saw me taking pictures of him in one of his many rearview mirrors.

No comments: