Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Custom Red Eye

The bad news is I am pretty much out of tools. The good news is I am pretty much out of tools. I mean I have a socket wrench and some sockets that I found – but what am I gonna write about that? I do have a big ass screw driver that I found too, but the only interesting thing about that is how I got back home without impaling myself with it – the pockets in cycling jersey’s just aren’t that good for some things. Gel yes. Big ass screw driver? Not so much.

So today’s Wednesday’s tool, I will have to admit, I didn’t really find. Well, didn’t find it on the road. I found pieces of it all over my garage. Here it is, my new fully custom commuter bike. There is way too much awesomeness here to cover in one post, so I will just pick out parts here and there and milk it until I actually find something on the road.



Today’s part is the custom ‘Red Eye of Mordor’ Aheadset. I know, you are thinking I must be a real ‘Lord of the Rings’ dork to have a red eye of Mordor Aheadset. Well you’re right. I am a Lord of the Rings dork. That’s not why I have the headset. I probably have that because the headset bolt was all rusty and shit. I cleaned off the rust, and coated it with some Rust-oleum. It’s red because that is the color I found in the garage. It could have easily been white, or brown, but it’s not. It’s red. The red eye of Mordor. No matter where you sit on the bike it is always looking at you. I know you want one. I guess you can make your own. Yours won’t be as cool as mine.



I just saw this…

Bike messengers in downtown Boise. Like all 20 square blocks of it. Dude, push back from the desk and walk your butt across the street and deliver it yourself.

Anyhow, there really are bike messengers in Boise. I don’t know if they are real bike messengers or not. The one dude does have an alley cat spoke card and rides a fixie. On the other hand he also has brakes, and rolls up his pants instead of cutting them off. I don’t know if wearing a helmet is aloud either – you see I have never been to New York City, so I don’t know what a real bike messenger looks like – I am just guessing from what I see on the internet.

That said I am pretty sure the second guy they show isn’t a real bike messenger. I saw his back wheel free-wheeling. I know that isn’t aloud. Poser. At least he gets paid to ride a bike around, which is more than I can say.

I guess the bottom line is that at least two guys in Boise have an excuse for having fixed gear messenger bikes – and one of those doesn’t use one. What are the rest of you people doing?

No comments: