Friday, April 10, 2009

Colorado Chaser

So I told you a few weeks ago that I spent my spring break in Fort Collins, Colorado. I thought that I had told you everything, but I remembered something when I was dropping off my very old, somewhat decrepit dog off at the vet this morning.

So there I was, riding along in the nastiest headwind of my life (50+ mph). Minding my own business, enjoying the fact I was on vacation, and the fact that if I turned my head just right I could almost see the sun. Anyhow, minding my own business when I catch something in my peripheral vision. I look.

Crap. German Shepherd. He’s got the angle. I am going like 10 mph. This may be the end. Wait, wait, wait a second – it’s the oldest, slowest German Shepherd on the planet. He’s got the angle, but he is too slow to use it. Hmmmm.

I have been chased by many dogs (and a badger), and am always looking for a chance for a little payback. I have gotten some vengeance with little dogs in the past, but never something as good as a German Shepherd. I think to myself ‘Self, this is too good an opportunity to pass up’.

I slow down a bit so the dog tears (in an old dog way) out onto the road a few feet behind me. He closes to about a foot – I can see the blood thirsty pleasure in his eyes. I speed up a bit, the gap opens to 2, then 3 feet – I see defeat and disappointment in his eyes. He is going to give up – I shout encouragement ‘come get me Rin Tin Tin’. The bloodthirsty pleasure returns. A little more speed, oooohhhh – disappointment. A little less speed – bloodthirst. A little more speed – disappointment. ‘Can’t get me Rusty?’ Bloodthirst.

He lasted about a half mile. Probably took him an hour to get home. If he made it home. I would be afraid of the bad dog karma but the way I figure it this makes me even for the time that the St. Bernard caught me.

I saw a bumper sticker on my trip. It said ‘333 only half evil’. I think I am going to use it. Mine will be ‘444 2/3 evil’. Or ‘555 almost completely evil’. Yes 555.

3 comments:

BoiseMilt said...

Great blog Mike and I think you are doing great! we are going to rock at LP200 this year.

See you at Chicken Dinner.

BoiseMilt said...

But I cannot agree with the book call on Great Expectations. Way to slow for me. Who was the ancient chic anyway?

BoiseMilt

Mike said...

Thanks man. Really looking forward to LP200.

Miss Havisham or something like that is that ancient chick in Great Expectations - but not sure if thats what your after.

See you at Chicken Dinner.