Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sand In Me Cracks

Damn it May in Motion! Stop killing cyclists! For those of you keeping score, that’s May in Motion 2, the Swine Flu 0.

Of course you weren’t keeping score. Probably didn’t even know two cyclists were killed in Boise last week, and that one was killed by a Valley Ride van. That’s how it is here, cycling just isn’t news unless an American is punking Frenchies (did I write that out loud?) in their home event – or unless maybe someone uses a bike to escape after a crime, that might be news worthy.

So yeah, May in Motion. Encouraging people to use alternative transportation, and then running them down with government subsidized vans. That might deserve some reporting, but what with the pandemic and all its tough to squeeze that in. I understand, the Swine flu has made 10’s of people sick in Idaho, and killed – well, no one. And actually I don’t think it is 10’s, probably more like 10. Ten runny noses and upset stomachs.

I heard that in Ohio they are spending $44,000 a day on the swine flu pandemic. So far in the US there have been 3 swine flu deaths. I am guessing that there have been a few more cyclist/pedestrian deaths in that same time frame. Am also guessing that Ohio (and the US) are spending something less that $44,000 a day to keep cyclists safe. I could be wrong, just guessing. Anyhow, I understand. It is hard to get behind a guy in spandex. Really. It is.

Did you know Ohio is the friendliest state? Yeah, it’s the only state that says ‘hi’ in the middle. My son taught me that. You can use it if you want. You know you will.

So I protested May in Motion by not riding my bike over the weekend. Well, not riding my bike very much over the weekend. Well I didn’t ride my bike at all on Sunday. Take that May in Motion. I drove my truck to work today as well. By myself. Without cargo. How does that feel?

I took my son camping this weekend instead of riding a bunch. We went to the Bruneau sand dunes. My son loved it. My dogs loved it. Me? Not so much.

I will be picking sand out of all me cracks for the next week. You would think I rolled naked in the stuff. I didn’t even take off my shoes. I didn’t even sit down. I still have sand in all me cracks.

No comments: