Friday, May 15, 2009

Mashup Madness

Over the last several months my favorite music has become mashup. It’s when someone takes two or three seemingly unrelated songs and mashes them all together to make a new song. My favorites are on albums called ‘The Best of Bootie’. Ah yes, Bootie. Look them up on the internet. You can download them for free. I think it may be legal, but I am not very sure.

Anyhow, download them. Then listen to them. Then like them. If you don’t like them, listen again. If that doesn’t work try one more time. If you still don’t like it you may be something less than cool. I guess that is ok, but mashup is sweet.

Well most of the time mashup is cool. My commuter bike is a mashup. I took all the crap in my garage and mashed it together. Some of it is cool. Some of it, not so much. Let me point out that I am rolling with a Shimano shifter, and a Campagnolo rear derailleur. I know – that sound you just heard – that was Tulio Campagnolo rolling over in his grave. For those not bike inclined, mixing the Shimano and Campy is like putting Lambo doors on a Chevy Cavalier. Or like mixing ‘The Biggest Loser’, and ‘Dancing with the Stars’.




They did that you know. Mashed up ‘The Biggest Loser’ and ‘Dancing with the Stars’. Yup. Fat people dancing to lose weight. It’s called ‘Dancing Your Ass Off’, I think it is on the Oxygen network. Unfortunately I am not joking.

Not sure, but I think they missed the point. I am pretty sure that people watch ‘The Biggest Loser’ for inspiration, motivation, and self esteem – not to watch fat people humiliate themselves by rolling around on a dance floor. I am also pretty sure that most people don’t watch ‘Dancing with the Stars’ for the dance steps. Men don’t watch it to see the athletes. No one was disappointed to see LT go home, his partner Edita on the other hand… I will stop there. I am on the verge of saying something I shouldn’t. Lets just say it is more about the beautiful people than the dancing.

Regardless of what Queen said, fat bottomed girls DON’T make the world go around. That’s a hard sell even when you put it on the same album as Bicycle Race. I mean Freddie Mercury didn’t even buy that one, now did he.

So maybe not all mashups are good. That’s why I am blowing up my TV, and collecting money off the road to buy a much coveted 9-speed Shimano derailleur.

Happy Friday Everybody.

No comments: