Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Electronic Jesus

About a week ago I was doing some laundry and kept hearing a thudding sound from the dryer. It thudded for like 10 minutes before I decided it wasn’t really thuderific and was more or less annoying. So I roll over to the dryer for a look-see.

The first thing I saw were the headphones from my iPod snaking around in my clothes. Uh-oh. This won’t be good. In fact, this may be significantly below average. Indeed, it may even be the day the music died.

So I leisurely rifle my way through my warm and fresh smelling underwear, socks, hoodies, and levis. Whoop, there it is. My old school 30g video iPod.

That stuff under the screen that looks like water is probably a bad sign.

I know from past experience with cell phones that trying to turn wet electronics on is probably a bad option. Nonetheless, I really want to try it. I mean really. Somehow I resist my urge to push the button and instead beat my head against the wall.

While I am beating my head against the wall my wife does some internet research and concludes that the thing to do is jamb it in a container of rice. The iPod, not my head. So I jamb it in a container of rice.

I didn’t push the button for a whole week. That’s pretty good for me, I mean, self restraint isn’t one of my strong points.

So after a week I collapse and push the button. Holy rapture! It’s like an electronic Jesus back from the dead! Emerging from its rice cave in a new glory – because, you know, an iPod is cool, but an iPod back from death? Well that’s hors categorie cool.

All the potty words were even removed from my music!

Well, actually, no. No, I made that part up. The potty words remained intact. All of them. Which really is pretty remarkable.

So yeah, that rocked. I basked in the glory for an entire night. The reality of the rapture struck the next day when I went for a bike ride. I saddled up and turned on the Garmin. Then I turned on the Garmin. One more time I turned on the Garmin. Son of a bitch. Apparently its little electronic gps soul got sucked up when my iPod (elmPod) came back.

At least the Garmin is still under warranty. I hope the warranty covers electronic rapture.

No comments: