Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cartwright Fence Guy

If you ride a bike and live in Boise you have ridden Cartwright Rd. I should say if you RIDE a bike and live in Boise you have ridden Cartwright Rd. If you have ridden on Cartwright Rd you have seen the Cartwright Rd fence, and by association know about the Cartwright Rd fence guy.

In case you have no idea, that’s ok I guess. Heres the deal. At the top of a gnarly little hill out on Cartwright Rd there is a stretch of fence where someone (the Cartwright Fence Guy – CFG) sticks all these bits of stuff that he picks up off the side of the road.

He is the loggerhead shrike of the stuff picker uppers. There is usually a hat, some bike junk, or other paraphernalia neatly hung on the fence where it can be seen and collected. Right now there is a hat and a key in a key hider box thingy. They have been there for at least a month.
Anyhow, also hanging there for the last several months is this sign. As you can see the text is pretty small, so I normally just blow on past – figuring it is a rant about bikers and their trash. Well over the weekend I road past the damn thing several times and I couldn’t help but to stop.
Turns out I was right, it is a rant about bikers and their trash. But little did I know it was a well written and witty rant about bikers and their trash. I might also mention it is a spot on rant about biker trash…


Bicyclists – If you can pedal a full GU pack to the top of Cartwright, you can spend an extra nanocalorie coasting home with the empty. Visit the website listed on the bottom of the pack. Even GU wants you to be a responsible ‘green’ rider. You look great in Spandex on your ultra-light carbon fiber bikes, but your tossed Gu pack is, well, just trash.
Way to go CFG. Your next beer is on me (if you read my blog, which isn’t likely).
So yeah, take your crap with you loser. I know it makes a mess in your pocket, and sometimes on your digits. That’s why you wash the damn things stinky sticky guy.
Oh yeah, and when you get that flat tire – take the freaking tube with you. No wonder people think we are pretentious a-holes.

No comments: