Friday, January 22, 2010

Shortsightedness

There is this blog called indexed which publishes a new chart drawn on an index card every day. The charts usually present some sarcastic or smart assed idea in an easy to understand way. It is pretty much my favorite site right now. Because of it I have been thinking in chart and graphs a lot lately.

So yeah, yesterday this one popped into my head…



If you don’t get it that’s ok. You probably weren’t meant to. Don’t worry, I won’t do it again – I will leave that for the professionals. I just wanted to say something, you know, without actually saying it.

Speaking of social acceptance, a friend pointed out a letter to the editor in the statesman today. This is what it says…

BICYCLISTS
Businesses will pay price for Boise's ordinance

Boise City Council in its infinite wisdom enacted new rules to protect bicyclists. What it fails to realize is that these rules make Boise an unfriendly place for the drivers of cars. I personally will from this day forward avoid driving into Boise for anything. I will take my business into Meridian, Eagle, Garden City and Nampa. I will drive to the Nampa Costco, visit the theaters in Meridian and I will give up my co-op membership. The safety of my family comes first, and the 3-foot rule puts me at risk.

The shortsighted fix the city just chose to impose on all will make Boise a bike-friendly city. But will cost businesses dearly.

BRAD G. COZZENS, Eagle


Or you can read it here.

I am assuming Mr. Cozzens isn’t coming to Boise anymore because driving only 3 feet away from a cyclist is just not a great enough distance. He is protesting because he thinks it should be like 5 or 6 feet. The 3 foot rule puts his family at risk because if he comes that close he may accidently hit one and maybe they’ll put his ass in jail. He may even be sued in a civil suit for damages. Yup wouldn’t want to put the family at risk.

I mean, I assume this because surely he couldn’t think that he is endangering his family because he may have to move his car to the left a little bit? Surely he understands that if there was traffic coming the other way he could, I don’t know, let off the gas until it is clear? No, you would have to be a moron to think that. Not to mention that a lack of patience and unwillingness to yield would put your family in more danger than driving around a cyclist. Surely Brad is not a moron, right? I mean how could he be, he writes letters to the editor! I will give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Dude calls the city shortsighted.

Asshat.

Pack your bags Brad, you are going to have to move when the state passes a 3 foot law. Be careful where you move to though, I hear 14 other states have 3 foot laws. I am pretty sure they are after your family.

Happy weekend everybody. But Brad.

No comments: