Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Own Little Mensa

So I was bump’n around the internets the other day. I saw one of those stupid little adds they jamb along the side of your Facebook page or email (those bastards). The add was for the Mensa ‘Fun’ Test – or something like that.

Those three words together have to be the ultimate oxymoron, so how could I not click it – I mean really, I gotta see what that is all about. Post click, I find myself in the ‘Fun’ test. Ok, so I have a little time to kill, I decide to give it a shot.

Guess what? It wasn’t really fun. It was a lot like a test. A kinda hard test. So I score a 25/30. The website says that’s pretty good, and I would probably be able to pass the Mensa test. Uh huh. Right. I mean, you read my blog – I’m barely literate.

So the 83% that was barely good enough to get me a ‘B’ in school is probably enough to get me into Mensa. Nice. All I have to do is fork up some cash and take a test. Excellent.

That would be so sweet. I could pay some money and take the test. Then, if I passed I could give them some more money (annually). I would probably get a certificate that says ‘you’re smart’. I could hang it in my office. I would probably get a ‘you’re smart’ magazine that I could leave laying around where people would see it. Best of all, I could probably get a chance to meet other ‘smart’ people – and we could hang out and tell each other how smart we are. Now that would be smart, wouldn’t it?

I wonder though, how smart are you really if you need other people to tell you that you are smart? Really. And how exclusive is this group of smart people if they need to advertise on Facebook or hotmail or wherever to find new members. I’m thinking that if I needed to find smart people for my smart people group I wouldn’t start looking on Facebook. There are dogs on Facebook. My dog eats poop.

I think I will start my own Mensa – type service. If you need someone to tell you that you are smart so that you feel better about yourself send me an email. I will send you one back that says, “Dude, you are so intelligent”. I won’t use the word smart, because intelligent sounds smarter than smart does. I won’t even charge you anything. You can print the email and put it on your wall. It will be sweet.

No comments: