Friday, August 28, 2009

Good Times

So the Bogus Basin Hill Climb is tomorrow. I am not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I think that I like it, but I am also pretty sure that I hate it. I do have a countdown-o-meter to it so it must mean something to me. Either that or I wanted something to take up space on my blog and couldn’t think of anything else to countdown to.

Anyway, the BBHC isn’t really a race. It just turns out that way – one guy on a bike is a bike ride, two guys on bikes is a bike race. There are like 300 or more people there – 350, just checked. They come out in all varieties.

GB racer guy? Yeah, he is there. Yellow jacket guy? And how. Performance guy? Lance Armstrong wanna be guy? Fixie hipster guy? Yup, uh huh, and yes even him. I wonder if GMBG will be there?

I guess the part that I hate is when all the people I make fun of pass me on their way up the hill. I don’t like it when furry guys beat me to the top, but I can live with it – happens a lot. I don’t mind getting beat by girls so much either – there are some very good women cyclists around here. Most of them aren’t even named Armstrong.

Getting rocked by baggy clothes guy is most unsavory – I don’t really remember, but I am sure it has happened.

I almost got beat by a guy on a fixie. I passed him on the flats just before the finish.

did get beat by a guy on a mountain bike. Ugh, did I just write that out loud?

I have been slayed by Clydesdales.

Ripped by children.

And even mocked by a guy on the side of the road wearing nothing but tidy whitey’s. That was below average.

You know the worst part of the ride? No, it’s not the hill. It’s at the top, when it flattens out and you pull a big group of guys for a mile and a half to the finish and then they sprint around you at the end for 73rd place.

Who the hell sprints for 73rd place? I mean really. God that kills me.

Good times. I can’t wait for tomorrow. I am on a downward swing. Three years ago I did a 1:07. Two years ago I did 1:10. Last year I did1:13. Using my Mensa like brain I can extrapolate that to a 1:16 tomorrow. Bank it.

No comments: