Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mission to Uranus

At Epcot they have this ride called Mission Space. Basically they put you in a box and shake you up a bit. They give you a couple buttons to push, a joystick to yank, and a little video screen to distract you from the fact that they put you in a box and are shaking you up. It is a pretty good ride.

After the ride I asked my son how he liked it. He thought it was swell, but was a bit disappointed that the ‘ship’ (box) only went to Mars. He said “It should be a Mission to Uranus”. Pronounced “Your Anus”. It killed me. I was laughing so hard that I almost missed the stink eye that a lady sitting nearby was giving us. That really killed me. I laughed so hard I cried. I don’t know where he comes up with this stuff. Really, I don’t.

You know what I don’t get about Epcot? Half the people there are from foreign countries. If you haven’t been there, most of Epcot is made up of little replicas of foreign countries. I guess the idea is that you can see these cultures (or stereotypes of these cultures) without ever leaving the states.

So anyway, what I don’t get is why some of these foreigners got in a plane, travelled halfway around the world, and then went to a replica of a country that they could drive to. Or a country that they actually live in. I mean really, I saw Germans in the replica Germany. I guess it’s like going to McDonalds in France. I like McDonalds. But I wouldn’t go to France to eat there.

No comments: