Thursday, May 1, 2008

God's Country

God’s Country, God’s Gospel, God’s Classical, God’s Rock, God’s Pop, and even God’s Punk! Have you ever noticed that when you are on a roadie in rural anywhere that the only radio stations you can get are religious channels?

I just got back from a little work related roadie to the armpit of Idaho, Lewiston. I shouldn’t say armpit, it really is quite a nice place – especially if you like the smell of pulp mills.

Anyhow, when you drive to Lewiston you go through about 100 miles of ‘radio free Idaho’. Well almost radio free. There are those religious stations – you know, the religious country music channel, the religious pop music channel, the religious talk channel, and even the religious punk channel.

I decided to give it a chance on the way to Lewiston this time. It didn’t last too long.

I discovered whatever the beat, whatever the riff, the chorus was always the same. It was either ‘I love Jesus’ or ‘I’m not worthy’. Don’t get me wrong – there is nothing wrong with loving Jesus (there may be something wrong with feeling that you aren’t worthy though) – it just isn’t what I need to keep me awake on my way home.

Why aren’t there any normal stations out there anyway?

Thank You, ‘play my iPod through the car stereo inventor guy’. I couldn’t have made it without you.

No comments: