Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Spring Sprung???

It only took 4 months and 6 races, but spring finally sprung on the local peloton on Sunday. At least spring as I know it in Idaho – hot temps, little wind, and no precipitation. It was warm enough that the pasties were out again – this time both arms and legs – but I must say, they weren’t as pasty as the last time.

Emmett-Roubaix is a polarizing event around here. You either can’t wait for it to get here or you can’t wait for it to be over. I am in the first group I love that race. But coming in off a less than stellar spring series with no real chance of sticking with the leaders, much less winning I just wanted to survive the two miles of gravel that I would have to ride.

Actually I wasn’t too concerned about the gravel going in because I was pretty sure I would be dropped by the time the race got there and I would get to traverse it as I pleased. I hate it when I am wrong. Somehow I was still with the lead pack when the gravel hit.

I survived an early bonus escapade into the gravel after being forced off the road by an Lost River rider about a dozen miles into the race. There I was feeling good about being with the leaders after the first climb when I guy comes over giving me the choice of my front wheel in his rear, or going off the road. Been to the first one before so I opted for number two. Ultimately my off-road adventure ended with me hopping off the bike and running back to the road – then chasing like hell to get back on. I did get back on, survived the second hill – but was in the back at the first gravel stretch.

The gravel was gravelly. Ultimately I went faster in it than quite a few – I knew that extra weight would come in handy some time. Of course I still got dropped. I spent the rest of the race chasing in a pretty good chase group, but ultimately gave up on the second trip through the gravel. Kevin Donovan, and Tim Doelman really just dragged 7 or 8 of us to the finish hill from there.

I finished 12th in cat 3 out of about 20. I felt pretty good most of the way. Somewhere along the way I crossed over into the second group of people that don’t love Emmett-Roubaix, they just want it to be over. I think my will to race got jarred out in the gravel the second time around.

Beer Me…

No comments: