Friday, May 30, 2008

May in Myopia 5: Bike Surfing Guy

I often find myself wondering if I am the only guy that has weird crap happen to him.

On my way to work today I was crossing the Veterans Park Bridge, on my way to the Greenbelt on the north side of the river. There is a guy coming the other way on a bmx bike. Now if you are over like 12 and ride a bmx bike you might be a loser, but otherwise there wasn’t anything unusual – I was in Garden City after all.

As I approach the guy hops up with his feet on his top tube and stands up – a little bike surfing action. Bike surfing, on a sidewalk, next to traffic, a lot of traffic, with a spandex clad bike geek coming at you. You have got to be kidding me.

So do I play chicken with the surfer (he is in the middle of the sidewalk)? Do I pull over and watch the spectacle? Do I cheer the obvious display of skill? Do I yell at the guy? Nope, in my befuddled state I squeeze past wondering WTF.

I am sure this type of crap happens to other people all the time right?

No comments: