Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May in Myopia: No Hands Guy

I hate May in Motion – the month that everyone is supposed to do the alternative transportation thing. I am all for fewer cars, saving the planet and all that; I just whish people could use their heads when they do it.

May in Myopia brings an all new cast of characters to my daily commute – the 4 or 5 miles on the green belt in particular. My favorite MIM character is No Hands Guy. Everyone has seen no hands guy, maybe some of us ARE no hands guy. He is the dude that rides his bike sitting bolt upright with his hands folded across his chest. The posture is usually accompanied by an air of superiority and vanity (maybe even a snooty look on his face) – as if he is displaying his superior cycling skill.

The really good (or bad) ones go no hands over tree roots, around corners, passing pedestrians, and sometimes even through greenbelt shortcuts. Every time I pass one it is all I can do not to tap their handlebars a bit on the way by. I am pretty impressed that they have the bike handling skills of a 10 year old – it just kills me. Riding with no hands is for getting stuff out of your pockets, not for commuting you moron.

Phew, I feel better now.

Since it is May now, and this is my training blog – I put in about 750 miles and 7 lovely hours on the trainer in April.

More on May in Myopia later…

No comments: