Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spin-o-rama

I knew I was in trouble from the start. I showed up early, but decided to line up in back by my teammates. I looked around and found that I was surrounded by sweet new bikes with aerodynamic tubing, integrated aerobars and fancy red shifters. Then I looked down at my steed – square tubing, a little metal half loop for aerobars, and a crappy shifter with exposed inner workings. Ahh nuts.

Oh well, I was feeling pretty good so I thought I could at least keep pace with the people next to me in the back, and maybe even catch the guys in front of me. We started pretty easy, but it quickly escalated as a skinny blonde chick in front kept jumping and going faster. Still feeling pretty good, I poured on the power to close on the people in front of me….

I pedaled harder – didn’t catch them. Shifted down and pedaled harder – still didn’t catch them. Must have been those damn aerodynamic bikes they had. Defeated, I resolved to just sit behind them the rest of the way. Depressed, it seemed like I wasn’t going anywhere. Just the same butts in front of me. When you sit on the same wheel for too long you notice things you would normally see – like I could see the tags of the guys shorts in front of me through the spandex. Now that is just wrong.

I guess that is just how fitness instructors and spin bike riders role. I hope I don’t see another spin bike (or short tags) again.

No comments: