Friday, January 23, 2009

GMBG

So I went skiing yesterday for like the second time in the last 15 years. I used to go a ton (like every day), but then I got old, got married, got fat, got a job, got a kid, and then got skinny again. So anyway I started skiing again. Not much has changed. Most people still ski like someone hit them in the gut then shoved a pole up their butt. Some people still try to glue their feet together and wiggle their butt to turn. Snowboarders still can’t stop, and a lot still can’t turn.

A few things did change. The skis got shorter and fatter over time – but then so do most people. Chairlifts got faster. Some ski runs have accessories now, like rails – nothing good can come of that, I am pretty sure. The biggest change (and best) is the iPod – thank you Steve Jobs.

The skiing was pretty unremarkable – mostly just going fast then turning left and right. The most remarkable event of the day was on the way up. I was driving along through the fresh snow on the road, about milepost 7, in a thick nasty fog (inversion) when I come up on a guy on a bike. WTF? I take a good look going past – because that’s what bike riders do when they see another bike rider.

Holy crap! It’s greasy man boob guy! I saw this guy all summer long when I was doing training rides up Bogus. Dude was always riding a piece of crap bike, with panniers and other extraneous appliances. He always wore a button up shirt – unbuttoned in the front revealing his man boobs. He also had a mop of greasy looking hair, and sported an unsociable look on his face.
Here it is January and GMBG is still at it – now that is dedication.

No comments: