Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Doody Duty Deux

A month or two back I lamented on my dogs love of the fallen leaves of November. I even speculated that November was their favorite month because of their apparent glee at watching me try to navigate through the camouflaged minefield that my yard becomes when the leaves fall.

Well it’s winter now. My backyard is covered by a blanket of snow. It looks pretty, but I know it is not – I know about the nastiness that lies beneath.

You see, a few weeks ago we had a snow storm like every day for – well two weeks. The weather made doody duty almost out of the question. Even when I tried, I wasn’t very efficient because the fresh doody sinks into the snow and is quickly covered by new snow.

Well I figured it would work itself out, so I continued about my business. One day however, I noticed that when I let my dogs outside they refused to step off the shoveled patio – they just sat there with a look of disdain. So I thought ‘whatever’ stupid dogs anyway. When I found doody on the shoveled patio I got the hint though. There was such nastiness lying below that the doody makers refused to doody there anymore.

Much to my dogs relief the snow melted revealing a virtual cornucopia of doody. There was brown doody, there was black doody, there was yellow/green doody, there was doody with red plastic bits, doody with yellow plastic bits, doody with blue plastic bits, doody with green plastic bits, doody with silver and gold tinsel, doody with stuffed animal stuffing, doody with black foam, and perhaps the most disturbing was the doody with red electrical wires (I wonder where those came from). I probably don’t need to tell you that one of my dogs is a lab. If it fits in its mouth my lab will eat it, if it doesn’t fit she will chew on it till it does.

So this weekend I spent almost as much time on doody duty as I did riding my bike – that’s a lot of time. It felt good to be doody free again. Then on Sunday night is snowed, then on Monday it snowed some more, Tuesday morning – more snow. It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t know what lies beneath.

No comments: