Friday, June 11, 2010

VeloCache

Now that the all important LP200 is over I am left with a void. What should I do with all that time that I would normally train? I mean, I guess I could train more – but really, I’m sick of racing bikes so I think I am done doing that.

How lucky was I to stumble across this on someone else’s blog. VeloCache. Yeah, so you the idea is that you hide some crap, then you post some semi-obscure pictures of it on a webpage so other people can find it. Or you can just go out and find other peoples crap, but I imagine finding and not caching is the karmic equivalent of killing small woodland creatures or drinking coffee at the office without contributing to the coffee fund.

So I looked at the site and decided to give it a try, seems how I knew where like three of the caches were immediately by looking at the photos. It either means that I am way observant and have superior investigative skills, or that I ride my bike on the gb waaayyyy too much.

Yeah, anyway, I gave it a day then looked at the site again. A couple of the caches I had identified still hadn’t been found so I decided to check one out. I took a little nooner to pick it up.

I rode my racing bike to pick up the cache. I am sure that is more than a bit wankerish, but it is the only functional bike I have at the moment. Well, actually that’s not true. My tt bike still works, but I am guessing VeloCache on a TT bike would make me a superwanker, and despite my proclamations that I don’t care what other people think I don’t want to be labeled a superwanker on my first cache picking upping attempt.

So I found the cache, looked around, grabbed it, and stuffed it in my commuter bag. I don’t know why, but it felt vaguely like I was stealing something. It also felt vaguely like I was enjoying it.

Riding back to safety I was filled with anticipation. I was like a kid on Christmas. Or like a kid that just stole something and was anxious to get to safety and check it out. I mean, not that I would know what that felt like – because, you know, I was a good kid. Good as hell.

Anyway, finally I get to safety and open up the cache. Holy cool crap! I knew it would be good, but not this good! I mean right there on top was an un-used AOL cd, still in the cellophane wrapper! Right underneath that was bottle opener ring. That’s just bitch’n. Not to mention the PBR wristband – are you kidding me? I haven’t seen anything that cool since the natty lite bike. Damn. There was also a sweet carabiner cork screw, some chocolates, an energy drink, crystallize lemon, and a Boise Weekly sticker.

I just wanted to rock all that stuff right there. So I did…



Too bad I was at work or I would have tried out my various and sundry opening devices.

I immediately felt guilty, and needed make my own cache to make up for it. I made my own cache with stuff I scavenged in my office – including my much prized office yo-yo, little angry man action figure, and a partially used Barnes and Noble gift card - amongst other treasures. I know it isn’t as good as what I received, but I think it is a good start? I’ll let you know how it goes.

Maybe I will try again next week.

No comments: