Monday, August 18, 2008

The Equine Ghetto

So I was so excited about the prospect of carnies on my commute that I forgot to mention something that I have been meaning to bitch about for a while. I remembered this morning when I was discussing carnies with a friend at work.

I hate horses. I am pretty sure I hate horses. They are big, they are dumb, and they are very much horse like. That’s why it shouldn't bother me when I ride my bike past the horse ghetto by the race track – but it does bother me to ride past the horse ghetto.

By the fairgrounds there are these buildings (I use the term loosely) where the race horses live when they are not, umm, racing. The poor horses have plywood ‘buildings’ and some of the middle class horses have concrete buildings, I think the rich horses just drive in for the races in hummers then go back to Eagle after they are done.

The poor horses are so poor they chew on their ‘buildings’ – so around the edges the ‘buildings’ look all dry and raw and rough – much like the wood you might choose if you wanted to start a fire.

They must eat the buildings when they get done eating the nice dry hay that hangs in baskets by their doors. The hay looks much like something that you might use as kindling is you, say, wanted to start a fire.

The poor horses don’t have it all bad though. There is always a monster pile of saw dust/wood chip stuff at the end of the 'buildings' – you know, like the stuff some places use to burn to generate power and heat. I think the floors of the poor horse houses are covered with this so it is nice and soft and absorbs their urine. A nice touch I think.

Also, so the poor horses don’t suffer so bad that their performance suffers they have big electric fans. Which require electricity. Which requires wires (sometimes exposed). Which run all over the wood ‘building’.

Now I am know expert, but I think there might be a fire hazard (or two) there…

On the other hand, I think the middle class and rich horses should be ok.

Now I am no fan of horses, but I think I would like cooked horses even less.

No comments: