Friday, August 15, 2008

The Carnies are Coming! The Carnies are Coming!

I must say, I have been mired in a bit of a malaise lately. The summer is ending, my son started kindergarten, my body is broken, AND I haven’t commuted on my bike to work much lately. When I have biked to work I haven’t seen anything bizarre – or maybe I am just not ‘feeling it’ and seeing the bizarrity (I made that up) in mundane things.

So Tuesday I rode my bike to work. I was determined to see something bizarre. On my way to work I was disappointed – either there was nothing bizarre going on or it was too damn dark to see anything bizarre. Thats ok, I was optimistic for the ride home as there would be a ton of people out. But alas – nothing strange.

There was the BMX guy going ‘no hands’ with his hands out to his sides and making airplane noises – that’s a bit different. And I guess the drunken pirate guy was kind of neat – he had a sweet pirate bandana, no shirt, and funky ripped pants. The smell of alcohol as I went past inspired me to say ‘AAARRRGGGHHH’. I don’t think he liked that – next time I will try “Ahoy there me hardy”.

I guess that stuff was ok. They are building a new structure along the green belt where all the bums live. I am not sure what it is supposed to be – but I know what it will turn into – bum housing. That will be nice. I also know that it gives me a chance to play cyclocross racer for 100 yards a day where the paved green belt is closed.

There was Lance Armstrong look alike guy too (not to be confused with Lance Armstrong wannabe guy). LALAG actually looks like LA. He always rides in a button up shirt and khaki shorts – clearly a commuter. His face looks like LA. LA in the tour in 2003. The year he suffered. Specifically he looks like LA on that stage to Luz Ardiden where LA crashed, go back up, and won – and looked vaguely like an unhealthy pasty skeleton doing it. That’s what LALAG looks like on the green belt. I am pretty sure dude is going to rupture something. Dude, take it easy.



I saw that the carnies have moved into the campground by the fairgrounds. That is a promising development. Surely I will see something odd next week.

No comments: