Friday, July 18, 2008

Success at any Cost

I have been struggling this year to meet my cycling goals. I don’t think I have achieved one yet. The best I have finished in a Cat 3 race is 12th. I was first loser in a Master’s B race that I should have won. I even went origami during the LP 200 – completely folded.

A month or so ago I decided that I needed to make some changes in order to start meeting some goals. I had a few choices. I could cheat, I could quit, or I could change the rues. I decided to change the rules, it is the American way after all.

I developed a new system that ensures success. Introducing – Multiple Choice Goal setting. I borrowed the multiple guess system of standardized testing from the American educational system and bent it to meet my own goal setting needs.

All you need to do is set about 4 goals at a time and hope you meet at least one of them. It helps if one is ridiculously easy. Here is an example…

Melmer’s Summer Goal 2008

A. Place top 10 in a Cat 3 bike race.
B. Climb Bogus Basin in 1:05:59 or less.
C. Buy a new bike.
D. Buy my wife a new bike.
E. None of the above.

Notice each one gets easier.

This is how it works - Only tell your friends and teammates about the first one. Later when they ask if you met your goal, just tell them yes. The only one you are lying to is yourself, and who cares about that.

By the way, in case you were wondering – I already met my summer goal. That Bogus Basin is a tough climb…

No comments: