Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First Bird of the Year

I made it 12 days. Twelve long days before the first bird of the year flew.

I was riding home from work on Friday when I passed Matrix guy and his friend D&D kid walking on the greenbelt. I knew it was them because of the long black trench coats, the round glasses, and the greasy hair – wait maybe it was Harry Potter.

When I went past they made some snide and sarcastic remarks like ‘Ride! Ride! Ride!’. My right hand involuntarily dropped off the bar, moved back by the messenger bag, and the bird flew the coup. Free at last. I really didn’t do it on purpose – it just happened.

I have been trying to cut back – really. I am afraid that one day the little bird will get me killed, so I have been biting my tongue and keeping my hands where they belong. Or at least trying too. I especially try not to let people know how I feel while riding in my team kit (this bird is brought to you by ______). My birds probably don’t need sponsors, and my sponsors probably don’t need birds.

Oh well, keep on trying. At least I haven’t flown the double eagle yet!

No comments: