Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Was Lost, But Now I'm Found

Sorry, I have been lost in Portland for the last 2 months.

Not literally mind you, I haven’t been in Portland for 2 months, it’s just that the last time I remember my brain working was when I was in Portland.

Maybe I lost it when I was lost. That’s the thing about Oregon – they do a good job of placing signs to get you places, but not such a good job getting you out of places.

Yeah, I went to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. It was very sciency and industrious. When I left I got lost. I was in the middle of hundreds of blocks that looked like Boise’s north end. There were little Hyde Parks everywhere.

All the people there were busy trying to be eclectic. And wearing knit hats. I think that the more people there are trying to be eclectic the harder it becomes – pretty soon everyone is eclectic, then no one is eclectic because eclectic becomes the norm. I think that is where Portland is.

Anyway, I don’t know. I am not very eclectic, but I was a girl scout once.

Right, so everyone was wearing knit hats and riding bicycles. Which was cool. I mean the bike part. Knit hats are good too, but I think helmets go better with bicycles. And knit hats don’t really go with helmets – I have seen it done and it isn’t pretty.

Portland reminded me of a ‘Wheres Waldo?’ book. Not sure why, it just did.
I think I may go back some day. Some day when I have a little bit more time to be lost. I will take a knit hat and some spoke cards.

No comments: