Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Twilight Crit '10

The twilight crit was the other week. It’s definitely the biggest bike race in the area every year. I think it has something to do with the time of day, the location, and the proximity to beer. And then there is the likelihood of crashes. Everyone loves beer, and everyone but those involved love bike crashes – so it’s a perfect storm.

Twilight is and expensive crit. Not expensive in that it costs a lot to race in it. Expensive in that it costs a lot to crash in it.

See, I have this theory, ‘the theory of criterium expensiveness’. The theory is that it costs more when you crash while turning right than while turning left. See, when you are turning right and crash your bike falls on its bits – and bike bits are expensive to repair. Indeed, some bits can’t be repaired at all – you just have to hope for a transplant.

Transplanting bits can be a tricky and expensive proposition, and should be avoided at all costs.

It’s interesting that almost all of the criteriums in town leading up to the twilight crit are of the less expensive left turn variety. So many left turns in fact, that I refer to it as the ‘left turn series’. So you practice turning left all spring, then all of the sudden the biggest race of the year only has right turns. Ugh.

And then there is the fact that one of the right turns is sharper than 90 degrees. So yeah, not only do you suddenly have to learn to turn right, you have to learn to turn sharp right. Throw in the fact that there are a bunch of new fast guys from out of town that you haven’t raced against before and you have to learn how to turn sharp right quickly while surrounded by dudes you don’t really know.

Yup, all that makes for an excellent place for a beer garden.

Now I am a mediocre bike racer at best, and somewhat less than mediocre at criteriums – so for my and all the other racers well being I generally avoid the Twilight Crit. Riding in it anyway. I like to watch it – you know, to see if anyone I know crashes, err, I mean wins. Yeah, wins. That’s what I meant.

My favorite part of the Twilight Crit is the 4/5 race early in the evening. I like to watch all the first time racers there. I love to watch the looks on their faces as they realize that bike racing is harder than it looks, and it looks pretty hard.
Yeah, they figure that they have ridden the Bob LeBow charity ride a few times, and even won the Greenbelt Roubaix in their imaginations – so they are ready for the Twilight Crit.

The last time I rode the Twilight Crit a guy showed up wearing cut-off levi’s. I wish I had a picture, but I was too busy turning left (it used to be a left turn race). Anyhow, yeah, I spent my entire race just making sure that I didn’t get beat by the cut-offs guy.

Not that I have anything against first time racers, I am all for new guys (and gals) racing bikes – I just think that the Twilight Crit is an unfortunate choice for a first race. Especially when there is a race the very next day designed for first time racers. I guess it does make for a better beer garden though.

Well anyway, I don’t really know what happened or who won – I only watched the 4/5 crit and part of the masters b. I am thinking that there were a bunch of right turns, a handful of crashes, and some dudes from out of town won.

Oh yeah, and there were some beers consumed.

No comments: