Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Fiddler

Oh joy! Just heard that they are releasing salmon into the Boise River again. Good times! You know how I love to share the gb with triple wide stroller lady and extendo leash dog guy, yeah, well 8 foot salmon rod carrying, baggy wet wader wearing, looking at the river and not where you’re going salmon fisher guy is the best.

You know, I understand the desire to catch a big fish and all, I have caught one or two before and have tried to catch more than that – it is kind of fun. Actually, not just kind of – it is fun. But salmon fishing, salmon fishing I just don’t get.

Well, I get the fishing part I guess, but that part where you stand shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen – that part I don’t get. And that part where you have to try for hours to catch a fish – yeah, I don’t get that either. Um hmm, pretty much anything that you measure success in hours per – I’m not interested. Fish per hour I can do. Hours per fish – not so much. I mean really, if I wanted to stand shoulder with a bunch of guys and wait for an hour and a half for someone to score I would go to a bar and watch world cup soccer.

At least there your hands are free to drink beers. Yeah, I am pretty sure world cup soccer is better than salmon fishing.

Besides, you know those fish that they dump in the Boise River? Well, they are hatchery rejects. They swam up to the hatchery trap and the hatchery didn’t want them. I have worked at fish hatcheries before. There are fish there with two heads. Its not uncommon, and hardly worth mentioning to hatchery people.

Yup, they are ok with two headed fish – but those ones they just dumped in the Boise River? Well, they didn’t want those. Ruminate on that one.

Yeah, if they had hatcheries for deer the deer they released in the Boise River would have five legs. All the better to swim with I guess.

If they had hatcheries for cyclists they ones the released into the Boise River would be this one.



So the picture sucks. It's not like I get paid for this or anything.

Yes, with aero bars mounted up high so he can use them while sitting up (I love that), and of course the violin case on his back, you know, in case he wants to stop and do some fiddling. Yeah, he's the fiddler.

Good fishing everybody. Happy 4th.

No comments: