Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ilio-What? The Lactic Acid Cycling Health Care Plan


So my hip has been hurting me on and off since last June. When I push really hard I get a little fire going down from my left hip into my quad. It is significantly below average, and hampers my performance significantly – I would estimate 30% both training and racing. For the longest time it only effected me when I ride, so it hasn’t been a priority – but lately it has turned into a constant ache.

I am pretty sure that it couldn’t be my bike that was hurting me. I mean it’s a bike, it loves me and I love it – the old red sled wouldn’t hurt me. Besides something that gives me so much pleasure couldn’t be bad right? I’m pretty sure that the pain is Ronald Reagan’s fault. Everyone else blames Bush. Not me, I blame Ronald Reagan – he deregulated something and now my hip hurts.

I decided last week to go to the doctor. Yep it hurts that bad. So I go to the family doc? The chiro? The ortho? Well the family doc is for antibiotics – that won’t help. The chiro is for voodoo – that may help but it gives me the heebeegeebees. Orthopedic it is, and since it says BOC right there on my jersey and my shorts I go to see Dr. Lawler – he fixed me up once before so he should be able to do it again.

Turns out I have an angry nerve and stuff in my hip. That’s not what he called it – he said iliosomething. In English it is angry nerve and stuff in my hip. Turns out most of the time when this hurts you are either a cyclist or you are fat. It was my bike – the traitor. Or maybe I am fat?

For treatment I got steroids (just like Floyd (allegedly)!) and referred to my left sleeve – Physio Therapy. Made an appointment with Mr Fleckenstein and will soon be golden again. I am afraid he will make me sit upright on my bike with a big cushy seat!

Hope I don’t get hurt again soon. I am all out of sponsors on the LAC health care plan…

No comments: