Monday, March 10, 2008

The B1 Project: Frankenstein




It’s ALIVE! Like the phoenix risen from the ashes of old bikes the old B1 appeared on the road for the first time this weekend.

Saturday was a bit sketchy because some parts that shouldn’t move moved – and parts that should move didn’t. I had 6 hex-wrenches in my pockets and I think I used them all tweaking and tightening. By the time I got home everything worked – sort of.

For some reason my chain skipped in the big ring, and the shifting was lousy. It could be that I am using 9 speed Shimano Dura-Ace shifters with an 8 speed Campagnolo Record rear derailleur and a 9 speed Shimano Ultegra Cassette. Not to mention the chain, which probably had 8,000 miles on it. Nay, couldn’t be any of that stuff – it just needs some love.

Sunday I made some improvements. I replaced the big ring on 1997 Campagnolo Veloce crank, with a chain ring that I found in my garage – I think it is a vintage 1992 Campy model. I also upgraded to a NEW SRAM 9 speed chain (no lube). Oh yeah, I also thiefed my speedplay pedals off my ‘good’ bike and installed them. Sunday’s ride was the essence of sweetness and smoothness – Yes!!! Except for the brakes.

Brakes have always been my weak point. These are no exception. Perhaps it is the Cane Creek break levers in combination with the vintage ’90 Shimano Ultegra brakes and the mountain bike brake cables? Nah, just needs some love…

No comments: