Monday, April 11, 2011

Recumbent Guy

When you pull up to a stop light on a bicycle nine of the ten things that can happen to you are bad. The tenth thing is nothing. Nothing happening is the only good thing that can happen to a guy on a bike at an intersection.

That’s why yesterday when I was waiting at a stop light and I heard something peculiar behind me I knew immediately it was bad. Yeah, so I hear something and I take the slow peak over my shoulder to see what devilry awaits.

It was worse than I thought. That’s right, recumbent guy had rolled up behind me on his tricycle. It was one of those jobs with two wheels in front and one in the back, with the big phallic shield in front – I guess to make it aero, but it mostly made it look like a penis with wheels to me.

But that’s just me.

So why does every guy that rocks a recumbent look like the ‘most interesting man in the world’ from the dos equis adds? That’s what I want to know. And why does every guy on a recumbent actually think he is the most interesting man in the world, and carry himself with an air of smugness? I guess the same reason bike racers carry an air of asshole-edness.

So I knew the guy was going to try and pass me. You don’t rock a phallic shield and not think you’re fast.

When the light changed I went the passive aggressive route and accelerated up to about 22. Not fast, but just fast enough the recumbent guy would have to work to get around me – which he eventually did.

The bike lane on Eagle Road is like 12 feet wide. I generally like to use the 3-4 feet farthest away from traffic – you know, so I don’t get hit by some wankers snowmobile trailer floating over the white line. Snowmobile trailers scare me.

Apparently recumbent guy has no such inhibitions. He placed his left wheel firmly on the wrong side of the white line and rocked down Eagle Road. I dug out my phone and took pictures…



I am sure dude thought he was being visible or something misguided like that. I am sure he thought the little bronco flag he was sporting on the fiberglass bike flag pole swaying behind him was making him visible too. Right, a blue and orange flag hardly blends in around this town does it?

I wonder why people in cars hate people on bikes.

So apparently it isn’t easy to ride a johnson with wheels faster than 22 mph for very long, because I caught the guy and passed him without changing my speed from the light. (This would be the aggressive part of passive aggressive).

When I passed the guy he was clearly exerting himself. I am all for exerting yourself while in a reclined position, I just don’t think it should involve a bike.

I kinda wanted to drop something on him when I went past – because it would have been so easy, but I gave him the schmirk with head nod instead.

No comments: