Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cyclist Dysfunction Rule #1

I have come to find that ‘organized’ group rides are a lot like communism – it’s a good idea in theory, but gets all messed up in application.

So I came up with this idea a few weeks ago for the race team that I belong too. I called it ‘Riding Johnny Style’ but in all practicality it should be called the ‘No Rider Left Behind’ rule. You know, like ‘No Child Left Behind’, but with bikes – come to think of it 'No Child Left Behind' is a lot like communism too.

Anyhow, the idea was that our group would divide into subgroups, when a person in the subgroup had a problem the entire subgroup would stop to help while the rest of everyone would slow down a bit to let them catch up – that way everyone wouldn’t have to stand around watching someone try to change a flat.

In reality when someone flatted a bunch of people went to the front and started hammering along at 25 mph in a pace line.

I guess I should have known it would happen. It’s like Cyclist Dysfunction Rule #1 that when you have more than one person riding bikes at the same time in the same place that a race will break out. The only exception I have seen is in a Master’s B category race – where club rides occasionally break out.

I really like vanilla pudding. I was just thinking that.

No comments: