Monday, October 6, 2008

Just Angry

My retirement from cycling has made it harder for me to be an angry cyclist. Angry, yes, I can still do that – but cycling not so much. As such my blogging hasn’t been very blogtastic lately, but what do you do?

For over a week I have been meaning to write about my first 5K fun run. The obvious point to start is the oxymoron ‘fun run’ – but that is so lame I couldn’t bring myself to write it.

I have always thought that running was a survival skill, not a sport. Running is what you do when confronted with danger, not when you need a pleasurable past time. Anything that can make your body ache like that can not be good for you – and should probably be avoided except for emergencies. I guess that retiring from cycling is an emergency.

I have been running for a few weeks now. I decided to try a 5K – the Vandal 5K because I heard that 99% of people would never run a 5K. If I could do something that 99% of other people couldn’t (or wouldn’t) do that would be good! Good for my man ego at least, I always need a reason to think I am better than other people?

So I did the Vandal 5K run to raise money for Vandal athletic scholarships. Vandal athletes are obviously not very athletic this year, maybe a little scholarship will at least help them be scholarly. Probably not.

So I did the fun run. I finished in 23:57. It was kind of fun. Actually more funny than fun because I finished in the top 10 out of 100 or so – and I suck. Of course it is a Vandal athletic event. I’ll take what I can get.

The best part? There was a beer ticket attached to the race number. Go Vandals!

No comments: