Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Limited Gears + Limited Fitness = Limited Results?


The first race of the season came all too early on Saturday – the annual limited gear race. Fresh off my favorite holiday (not) and feeling violated yet well lubed from my annual physical the day before I was a bit apprehensive about racing.

On the bright side, it was obvious from the beginning that the one thing that wouldn’t be limited on this day was the number of LAC team mates. We had 8 guys lined up for the start of the 15 mile race – the first time I have ever seen us out number the Lost River guys.

As the race started I could hardly keep from giggling like a little boy as I sat back and watched 6 LAC riders echeloned across the front of the pack. There was black and blue on the front nearly the entire race, even a few LAC pacelines. The first half of the race was pretty uneventful with the exception of the field getting strung out a few times on Kuna-Mora Road when my newest LAC teammate Shane L. went to the front and drove for a bit. As we turned onto Cloverdale Kurt Holzer put in a few attacks, each time getting chased down by LAC guys with Dwayne S, Jason K, Chris C, Mark B and John Y all spending some time up front working. I mostly sat in the back giggling.

Approaching the final corner with about a half mile to go Kurt threw in another attack, Shane countered going into the corner and was off in a blurr of legs up the hill to the finish. I don’t know if I have ever seen anyone pedal so fast, yet go so slow – it was like a cartoon. A small group behind chased but couldn’t pedal quite as quickly. LAC riders Chris C and Dwanye S finished second and fourth respectively, with the rest of us finishing not far behind. I think I was still giggling.
All in all a great day for the team, a mediocre day for me, and a good time was had by all. Except for maybe Shane’s brother who had to wait in the car the entire time. Shane said it was ok, because he had his iPod – classic.

No comments: